Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Cowboy Good-Bye

A Cowboy Good -Bye

We’ve made the call,
The boys are on the way
From across the high Absarokas
To the flat lands far away.
Most should be here
In just a day or two,
With stories just abustin;,
‘Bout their trails rode with you.
They’ve honored me the first shot Of tellin’ what I knew
And if I stretch the facts some,
Well you’d have done it too.
Now as people go
I’ve knowed few finer,
As straight and as true.
Na, just ain’t many the likes of you.
To none were you a master
And well, masters you had none. ‘Cept for the Big Boss,
Out beyond the sun.
You know I.
Well, I don’t rightly recall
When your door wasn’t open
From now back to when, well; I was quite small.
Seems you was always there
With open heart and hand.
To share the burdens that we bear And lift us up; to make our stand.
Now 1 know
There are horses you didn’t ride,
Fish left to grow.
You’ve left us those, and your family pride.

Now I could go on like this,
But ya see, the rest of the fellers
Are awaiten and won’t miss their chance. Some are fair story tellers.
I won’t say goodbye; just see you later,
When its my time to go; saddle up and ride.
We’ll all see you on the shore; with rod, reel and rope At the lake of the Great Divide.
-Douglas Bleak-

No comments: